The last 36 hours of my life...or the longest blonde moment in my life so far...
on Monday, March 1, 2010 at 9:28pm
It all started yesterday morning. I was running late as usual so I grabbed my makeup to put it on the car. This is not an uncommon occurrence by any stretch of the imagination. However, I forgot my mascara. Not a big deal if you have hair that is not blonde but I don't have eye lashes without mascara...at least it looks like I don't. This was how I started the day. Not too bad but looking back now, it was just the beginning of clumsy, sleep deprived and it's-a-good-thing-my-head-is-attached-to-my-shoulders-Dawn.
We got home from church and all was well until 3am or so. The feeding the baby routine in our house goes like this...Brent hears him cry and gets him up to change his diaper. I NEVER and it isn't just a faking it never hear him cry. So, with about 30 seconds to spare at the end of the diaper change I crawl out of bed to go plant myself on the couch. Instead of going directly to the couch, I decide to get a drink of water from the cup on my bedside table and proceed to spill the whole thing in the bed. Now Brent gets to change the sheets on the bed too! In the time that he is changing the sheets, I'm feeding the baby, watching a rerun of Friends and trying desperately to stay awake. After what seems like an eternity, I crawl back into bed and go back to sleep.
Brent wakes me up, yes, I'm 34 years old and still cannot get myself out of bed, at 6am to feed again. I love my baby with all of my heart but I desperately miss my sleep. Now, I'm on the couch again, nursing the baby with my head on my chest asleep. Again, Brent wakes me up before he goes to work so I can get ready to go to the hospital for my much anticipated MRI because I've started having migraines.
So, the plan for the two boys. L spent the night with my parents and J is going with me because my mom works at the hospital where I am having my MRI. She is going to show off her newest grandson while I'm in a long magnetic tube having my brain scanned. I'm a little worried about this procedure because I'm slightly claustrophobic and I'll also have a head coil on (fancy name for something that looks like a welders head shield with prison bars across the front). Okay, this means that we have played musical cars with my parents. They have my Odyssey (that's easier to type than minivan), I have my mom's Infinity and she has my dad's "truck." Well, also with the van my dad has is my stroller that is critical since my 2 month old weighs almost 14 lbs and combined with a car seat I swear it's more like 45 and it's raining! So, guess what my wonderful husband got to do before he left for work this morning? Yep, crawl into the attic and get me another stroller! He's so wonderful. Unfortunately, as I'm running late again this morning, I realize that the makeup I used yesterday on the way to church is still in the van at my parents' house 25 minutes away. Oh, the joy! Glad I have a stock pile of make up from my short lived BeautiControl consultant days...a completely different story!
Good thing I have connections at the hospital because I'm late for my MRI. Thankfully my mom, the director of radiology, can pull some strings. Anyway, I finally get there, my mom comes and whisks J away for the happiest 60 minutes of her day and I try not to think about the magnetic tube that I'm soon going to be sliding into. Well, I didn't have long to wait...remember, I have connections. So, I go back, take off my belt, jacket and jewelry, get a bottle of water and the instructions. I'm told to lay as still as possible, that I'm going to hear lots of really loud, strange and mechanical type noises while I'm in the magnet. We go into the room, I lay down on the table, put my ear plugs in, get covered up with a blanket, my "helmet" goes on, I close my eyes and pray that I don't freak out when they slide me into that thing behind me. Sherman, one of the nicest people I've encountered today, tells me we are going to start. The table starts sliding backwards and it reminds me of a roller coaster ride except I'm laying down. I can handle this. I LOVE roller coasters! About 5 minutes into my 30 - 35 minute procedure I start thinking about Friends. Remember the one where Ross plays his electric keyboard and it's horrific but really funny? Well, that's what this machine sounds like. It's all I can do to keep from laughing. And, I'm not allowed to move! Somehow, I manage. But, I don't get off that easy because now my face is itching and then my nose. Why is is that when you can't do something, it becomes an obsession? Amazingly enough, I made it and my roller coaster ride comes to an end. Time to wait for the results.
The rest of my day is pretty uneventful. Praise the Lord. Brent and L head to church for yoga while J and myself stay home. J is extremely fussy so I'm doing the best I can to console him. In order to console myself, I eat a hot fudge brownie sundae. YUMMY! Then, Brent calls. He wants to know if I lost my glasses...my brand new glasses because L threw my last pair away (I think, sounds better than I just lost them, right?!). Then I realize that, yep, those are my glasses in the nursery at church that must have fallen out of my bag when a two year old decided to go through my diaper bag/purse in the nursery yesterday morning while I was picking up L. Hmmm...then it hits me...that two year old is the son of the woman who thought it would be a good idea to stick her head down into my nursing cover so she could see J when he was about a week old. Now, I'm sitting here and there are only 2 1/2 hours left today. I'm hoping I can make it without doing something else ridiculous. We'll see.
We got home from church and all was well until 3am or so. The feeding the baby routine in our house goes like this...Brent hears him cry and gets him up to change his diaper. I NEVER and it isn't just a faking it never hear him cry. So, with about 30 seconds to spare at the end of the diaper change I crawl out of bed to go plant myself on the couch. Instead of going directly to the couch, I decide to get a drink of water from the cup on my bedside table and proceed to spill the whole thing in the bed. Now Brent gets to change the sheets on the bed too! In the time that he is changing the sheets, I'm feeding the baby, watching a rerun of Friends and trying desperately to stay awake. After what seems like an eternity, I crawl back into bed and go back to sleep.
Brent wakes me up, yes, I'm 34 years old and still cannot get myself out of bed, at 6am to feed again. I love my baby with all of my heart but I desperately miss my sleep. Now, I'm on the couch again, nursing the baby with my head on my chest asleep. Again, Brent wakes me up before he goes to work so I can get ready to go to the hospital for my much anticipated MRI because I've started having migraines.
So, the plan for the two boys. L spent the night with my parents and J is going with me because my mom works at the hospital where I am having my MRI. She is going to show off her newest grandson while I'm in a long magnetic tube having my brain scanned. I'm a little worried about this procedure because I'm slightly claustrophobic and I'll also have a head coil on (fancy name for something that looks like a welders head shield with prison bars across the front). Okay, this means that we have played musical cars with my parents. They have my Odyssey (that's easier to type than minivan), I have my mom's Infinity and she has my dad's "truck." Well, also with the van my dad has is my stroller that is critical since my 2 month old weighs almost 14 lbs and combined with a car seat I swear it's more like 45 and it's raining! So, guess what my wonderful husband got to do before he left for work this morning? Yep, crawl into the attic and get me another stroller! He's so wonderful. Unfortunately, as I'm running late again this morning, I realize that the makeup I used yesterday on the way to church is still in the van at my parents' house 25 minutes away. Oh, the joy! Glad I have a stock pile of make up from my short lived BeautiControl consultant days...a completely different story!
Good thing I have connections at the hospital because I'm late for my MRI. Thankfully my mom, the director of radiology, can pull some strings. Anyway, I finally get there, my mom comes and whisks J away for the happiest 60 minutes of her day and I try not to think about the magnetic tube that I'm soon going to be sliding into. Well, I didn't have long to wait...remember, I have connections. So, I go back, take off my belt, jacket and jewelry, get a bottle of water and the instructions. I'm told to lay as still as possible, that I'm going to hear lots of really loud, strange and mechanical type noises while I'm in the magnet. We go into the room, I lay down on the table, put my ear plugs in, get covered up with a blanket, my "helmet" goes on, I close my eyes and pray that I don't freak out when they slide me into that thing behind me. Sherman, one of the nicest people I've encountered today, tells me we are going to start. The table starts sliding backwards and it reminds me of a roller coaster ride except I'm laying down. I can handle this. I LOVE roller coasters! About 5 minutes into my 30 - 35 minute procedure I start thinking about Friends. Remember the one where Ross plays his electric keyboard and it's horrific but really funny? Well, that's what this machine sounds like. It's all I can do to keep from laughing. And, I'm not allowed to move! Somehow, I manage. But, I don't get off that easy because now my face is itching and then my nose. Why is is that when you can't do something, it becomes an obsession? Amazingly enough, I made it and my roller coaster ride comes to an end. Time to wait for the results.
The rest of my day is pretty uneventful. Praise the Lord. Brent and L head to church for yoga while J and myself stay home. J is extremely fussy so I'm doing the best I can to console him. In order to console myself, I eat a hot fudge brownie sundae. YUMMY! Then, Brent calls. He wants to know if I lost my glasses...my brand new glasses because L threw my last pair away (I think, sounds better than I just lost them, right?!). Then I realize that, yep, those are my glasses in the nursery at church that must have fallen out of my bag when a two year old decided to go through my diaper bag/purse in the nursery yesterday morning while I was picking up L. Hmmm...then it hits me...that two year old is the son of the woman who thought it would be a good idea to stick her head down into my nursing cover so she could see J when he was about a week old. Now, I'm sitting here and there are only 2 1/2 hours left today. I'm hoping I can make it without doing something else ridiculous. We'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment