Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Q&A with Liam

This evening, we were getting ready to go swimming.  Brent got Jax ready and took him outside to the pool.  Liam had to go potty so he and I spent some quality time together in the bathroom.  Since we were going swimming afterward, I was already in my bathing suit.

Liam was very chatty and inquisitive.  While I was sitting on the stool in the bathroom, Liam looked at me, pointed to my chest and asked me what those big things were.  I matter of factly told him that those are my breasts.  There were some other questions about me nursing Jax and Liam showing me the faces that Jax made when he nursed.  Then he wanted to know about my "big belly."  His words...oh, outta the mouth of babes.  He asked if there was a baby in my belly.  I told him no but there was a long time ago.  He wanted to know why I didn't show him the baby.  I said, "I did show you the baby.  The baby is Jax."  Then he asked, "Why was he in your belly?"  I told him that's how babies are born.  To which he then asked if there were any animals in my belly...Um, no. 

Then what came next I knew we would have to talk about some day but I didn't think it would be so soon or maybe I should say I was hoping it wouldn't be this soon. His next question was, "Was I born in a belly?" 

I just said, "Yes, you were" and silently prayed he'd leave it at that.  I didn't get off of the hook so easily. 

He looked at me and said, "Was I in your belly?" 

"No, baby, you weren't in my belly."  I responded.

"Was I in Daddy's belly?"  he asked.

At this point, there was no way out.  So I simply said, "No, Liam.  You were in Becca's belly."

He looked at me a little confused and said, "Why?"

The Holy Spirit intervened since the only thing I could think of was, "Because that was how God wanted you to be born."

Apparently, that was a good answer because he changed the subject and we moved on to something different.  I'm sure that this will not be our last conversation about this but it will just be the beginning of his adoption story and how God blessed us with him through a very special young woman named Becca.  I feel more confident though that when the time comes, we will be given the words that Liam needs to hear.


Entrustment Ceremony when Liam was 3 days old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment