On June 4th, 2011, God welcomed my Papa into heaven. I have done a lot of reminiscing in the last few weeks. Brent and I got to visit him in February. Here's a picture from our visit.
 |
| My Grandma, Papa & me in February 2011. |
There are so many memories that I have of this man. A man that I love more than I can express. I will always remember going to visit him and my grandma. They live(d) on 9 beautiful acres in Scott Depot, West Virginia. It is the house that I associate with my Papa & Grandma. It is home. It is where I rode in the wagon behind my Papa's tractor, it is where I sat on his lap while he drove the tractor, it is where I almost drove the tractor through the back wall of the barn when I was little (this is also one of the only times that I ever remember him getting upset about anything), it is where we almost always got stuck in the mud on the back hill while riding on the tractor or in the wagon, it is where we played volleyball in the "front yard" (which is really about 3 acres), it is where we could walk to the Dairy Queen to get ice cream because it was also almost in their front yard. We had Christmas Eve at their house every year, we had Easter Egg hunts, we caught lighting bugs, we ate egg sandwiches and silver dollar sized pancakes, we listened to my Papa play the harmonica, watched ET, listened to the grandfather clock chime, relaxed in the family room while playing Chinese checkers, hung out on the back porch, sat on the front porch watching the world go by, listened to the trains roll by night and day, could look at the countless pictures of us all over their house, the grandkids getting to eat dinner on at the little table on the vinyl floor in case we spilled...
So many memories. I will cherish them, each and every one. The one that will always linger in my mind is that he was always on the front porch waiting for us. I don't remember ever having to ring the doorbell. If he knew we were coming, he was waiting. When we left, he was always on the front porch watching us leaving and waving. This trip, he wasn't there.
We were in WV last week for my Papa's memorial service. We already had our trip planned and then this was added to it. We spent a week at his house, without him. It's no longer his home. His home is now is heaven with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. And I'm so thankful that he is there but it was just not the same without him. It is still the same beautiful 9 acres. Land that I am so thankful my grandma still lives on; and, I want my boys to know this earthly home too. Yes, it is land and a house. But it is also my connection to my Papa.
My boys have gotten to spend time with him. Liam has been to WV every summer since he was born and so has Jax. I want to keep his memory alive for them. I want them to know their great grandfather even if they don't get to physically see him.
At the memorial service, there were lots of stories told. There was lots of laughter. There were tears. I didn't speak. I knew I wouldn't be able too. I started crying as soon as I started typing this. But my husband spoke. He shared some funny stories of our trips to WV after we got married. Things about honeysuckle, tomatoes, winding country roads or golf cart paths as my husband affectionately calls some WV "roads", getting car sick, etc. I loved hearing Brent talk about him. I loved that he loves my Papa. I love that he wants our boys to know about him. I love that my family is also his family.
These are some of my favorite pictures with my papa. If you look close, I think you'll be able to tell that I look a lot like him.
 |
| I absolutely adore this picture. | | |
|
|
 |
| Almost 30 years later. |
 |
| The "backyard" - can't see it all but it's about 6 acres. |
 |
| I seemed to always be sitting on his lap when we were on the tractor. |
|
|
 |
| Christmas Eve |
 |
| Relaxing on the front porch in his favorite chairs. |
 |
| Our trip to the beach. |
 |
| Visiting us in Texas. Love the pose! |
 |
| The fountain at the George Bush Presidential Museum & Library. Texas A&M University. |
 |
| The Berlin Wall at A&M. |
 |
| My graduation from Texas A&M. The newspaper on the head was to keep it from getting sunburned. My Papa was bald at age 19! |
|
 |
| Our wedding. July 31, 1999. Papa could always get the best smiles out of my brother! |
 |
| My Papa loved to hunt and fish. |
 |
| At the camp in Pocahontas County, WV. Summer 2000 |
 |
| Papa, Brent & the turkey. |
 |
| Papa with Liam at 6 weeks. |
 |
| The first great grandson. |
 |
| Four generations. |
 |
| Papa & Liam, April 2009 |
 |
| Papa & Jax, June 2010 (Jax was 6 months old.) |
 |
| Liam playing the 'monica with Granpa! June 2010 (Liam 2 years & 2 months.) |
 |
| Swinging on the back porch with Gigi & Granpa. June 2010 |
|
 |
| The sunset & "angels" over the Hubbard Hospice House two evenings before God called my Papa home. |
|
|
My memories are so much more than I was able to put here. I'm sure I'll remember more as time goes on...things that I'm not remembering right now. I know that our loss is heaven's gain. I know that when I get to heaven, my Papa will be there waiting for me with open arms. He was so proud of me and loved me so much. I know that because he told me every chance he got. I pray that he knows just how much I loved him in return. He will surely be missed but never forgotten.
 |
| So sweet. |
|
|
The video of the memorial service is here...
Papa's Memorial Service, July 1, 2011
That one of Liam and Papa playing the harmonica is one of my all-time favorites. Thank you for making me part of your family.
ReplyDelete