Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Monsters & Jesus

Brent and I attended the first Sacred Parenting class at our church tonight.  We heard about statistics which are usually pretty boring to me but these were very intriguing.  Did you know that if you take your child to church, the church influences your child for 40 hours a year?  Did you know that the family has 3,000 hours of influence with their child in one year?  Those are some amazing numbers.  Our prayer for our boys has always been that we will be examples of Christ to them so that they will come to know Him as their personal Lord and Savior.  Now, I realize that we are going to have be extremely intentional.  And then, I start to wonder how we are going to go about doing that.  It seems so daunting.

And then as if exactly on cue at bedtime...

Liam asked me as I was leaving him room after saying his prayers, spraying for monsters and giving him kisses if Jesus was going to save him.  So, I walked back over to him, knelt down and told him that Jesus loves him.  And, he said again, "Is Jesus going to save me?"

"Yes, baby, he loves you and will save you," I answered.

Then he said, "But will he get a big stick and beat away the monsters?"

Ahhh, I get it now.  "Yes, Liam, Jesus will save you from the monsters, He will help keep you safe because He loves you."

To which, Liam says, "Where is Jesus?"

And I replied by patting Liam's chest and saying, "Jesus, is always with you.  He's right here in your heart."

Which was apparently all the comfort he needed because he stuck his thumb in his mouth, cuddled up with his blue blanket and bear and closed his eyes to go to sleep.

Now, sitting here in awe of my almost 3 year old (where did the time go?!), I realize it isn't all that hard.  God and Liam just showed me that all have I to do is just listen and use every opportunity available to tell him and show him that Jesus loves him even more than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment