Thursday, November 3, 2011

A different kind of evening...

Brent and I have done a good job instilling our roles as mommy and daddy in Liam.  Last night, I had to go back to work for College Night.  I didn't anticipate that it would have the affect it did when I was getting ready to leave the house again at 5:15pm instead of making dinner.  Our evening went something like this....

Brent got home from work at 5pm.  He had the boys outside and they were driving their Mustang.


I started getting ready to leave not too long after that. 

At about 5:20pm, both boys come running in the house to find me.  I heard Jax yelling, "Mommy!  (Pause...)  Are you?"  I love that he's putting together sentences and that one of his favorites is asking, "Mommy, where are you?"

They found me in the bathroom touching up my make up or something.  Liam looked at me and said, "Mommy, what are you doing?  You are supposed to be getting dinner ready." 

Red flag.  At the precious age of 3 1/2, our little one has figured out that mommy cooks; daddy and kids eat.  Guess who's going to get to start cooking every once in a while?!

So, I told Liam that daddy was going to be fixing dinner tonight because mommy had to go back to work.

I completely did not anticipate the next response.  Jax immediately wanted to be picked up, then looked me dead in the eyes and said, "No work!"  So sweet.

Is this the picture of ornery?

Then as I was trying to walk out the door, the water works began.  I haven't seen Jax so upset in a long time.  As I was backing out of the garage into the driveway, Brent was holding both boys to wave goodbye to me.  Jax was screaming, crying and yelling, "No work, Mommy!"  Liam was getting upset too.  It was so heartbreaking and so heartwarming at the same time.  It's nice to be loved and nice to know that despite the fits, crying, fighting, etc that occurs on a regular basis, my boys love me enough to cry when I leave. They recovered in record time, I'm sure.  However, my heart feels full and warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment